That’s the only thing I can think of when I hear “chia seeds.”
Anyways, I had a ton of leftover berries from an event that I worked last weekend, so I knew some time in the kitchen was in order. One recipe that came to mind was jam.
Whenever I think of jam I think of my aunt. One vivid memory I have is when I went over to her house one day and helped her make strawberry jam. It was bitter cold outside and my cousin and I road the ATV while waiting for the cans to process. Not sure why that specific memory comes to mind, but it does.
So, in honor of the cooler weather we’ve been having lately, I decided to whip up some homemade jam. Who else did I call for a recipe? My aunt, of course!
After learning that traditional jam has a TON of sugar and pectin in it, I decided to create a healthier recipe that allowed the berries flavor to shine.
Boom. Chia seed jam was born.
This recipe is SUPER easy, you guys. Seriously.
Instead of using pectin and white sugar to thicken the jam, I used chia seeds to achieve the same “gel” effect NO added sugar.
Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam
- 12 cups mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
- 1/2c + 2 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 1/2 TBSP of your choice of sweetener (Honey, Stevia, Splenda)
1. Boil berries in a large pot on medium heat (stirring constantly) until berries are of desired consistency (I prefer my jam a little chunkier).
2. Remove from heat. Add in chia seeds. Stir.
3. Place pot in refrigerator for at least one hour to allow mixture to thicken.
4. Pour jam into mason jars and process as you would regular jam.
I tested this jam out on my boyfriend’s family and they loved it! It’s not super sweet, so if you crave a sweeter jam feel free to add a bit more sweetener.
The lack of sugar really brings out the juicy, sweet flavor of the berries. This would taste SO GOOD on waffles, in oatmeal or on a flakey, buttermilk biscuit.
You could use this recipe with any type of fruit! I really want to try it with peaches. MMM.
Have a great Tuesday! I’ll catch up with you guys tomorrow or Thursday. My half marathon is in less than a week! Eeeek!
OH! One more thing. The winners of the Quest Bar Giveaway are….
Caitlin Crosswell & Lisa Avery
Email me at barefootcoloblogATgmailDOTcom with your shipping address and I’ll forward it to Quest Nutrition!
- What is your favorite flavor of jam?
- Do you have a food that brings back a childhood memory?